Monday, April 6, 2009

Today I read an article that quipped:

"nothing in my home is just for looks. everything has to do two things. " --bh&g

Really, huh? I'm always down for organization and simplicity, but I thought this sounded pretty extreme. I've been thinking about it all day today, and then as I was hand washing our dishes (our dishwasher is broken) I came up with my own revised opinion.

As we usually have a dishwasher, we don't own a traditional drying rack as we have no room to store it. Unfortunately, I really needed some sort of solution as a stop gap--enter our cookie cooling racks! Last week, these bad boys were home to two dozen cooling cookies. This week, they're a mean, clean drying machine.

So as I reconsidered the mantra above I decided that:

Yes, it still seems like a ridiculous waste of time to go through our possessions cataloging every item's two possible uses.

But instead, I believe that the real issue is not allowing myself to limit the potential uses for any one object in my mind. Most everything has a defined "use", but with a little creativity it can be used for just about anything.

Several more examples I found in our apartment today:
Trivets as Wall Art (when not being used as trivets :)
Pilsner as Vase
Creamer as Pencil Cup

What items do you use in your home outside of their intended purpose? Do you find this mantra to be extreme?

3 comments:

Daniel said...

The cookie sheets is very clever Marissa!

My personal favorite dual purpose item in my house is, as you know, the giant inflatable workout ball. Except, I only use it as a chair and not workout, so I am not sure that counts... :)

Anonymous said...

Not sure this is exactly what you were asking, but I use my large soup ladle to grab things I can't reach on my top shelves. Susan

Marissa said...

That's a really good idea! I'll have to put my ladle to more use, apparently it's been slacking. :)