Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Corraling Receipts

Does anyone else ever feel like they're up to their eyeballs in loose receipts?

Of all the paper that circulates through our apartment, I always feel like receipts are the toughest thing to keep contained. In our old apartment we had space to hang this dandy guy that housed both loose receipts and other papers that needed a quick and easy home.

Now in our new apartment I've been at a loss of what to do. There is no decent place to put up our old hanging file (it's just been sitting on the floor since we moved in), plus I'm always wishing it was a little easier to get into it. In the picture above it's almost empty. In day to day use, it's a bit more stuffed.

I read somewhere that if you want a neat house, it's important to make things easy to put away, and I find it to be true for us. So I knew I had to come up with some sort of quick fix pronto.

Then I was inspired by this image from my favorite blog YOUNG HOUSE LOVE:

basket-storage-ideas-craft-room-organization-stationery

See how there are file folders sitting in the back of that cute box? I'm not sure what they're storing, but I knew it could work for our receipts too! Now to find the right size box for free...

Solution:

Contact paper covered shoe box!

(Yeah, I know it's not quite as awesome, but it totally works, and if I hadn't shown you the cute one first, maybe you wouldn't have noticed?)

I used a bigger shoe box (think running shoes), simply covered it with contact paper I had on hand, and then slipped the same files in the back.
Now, no more mountains of receipts. Hallelujah!

I should have taken a before picture, but it would have been pretty embarrassing. I'll let you use your imagination.

What is your biggest day to day mess and how do you handle it?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

You've got me in a tail spin, stalking people's crafty blogs. Thanks, it's so fun! cute storage.

Elizabeth said...

Where did you get those file folders? I love them, they are so cute!

Marissa said...

Thanks! I got them at Target. I think they are the REAL SIMPLE brand, but I saw they have some other cute ones too. I think they come in a set of six.