Sunday, January 24, 2010

Weekend Update

Quick house update:

This weekend, we painted the entire house including the ceilings and minus the kitchen and back bathroom. We haven't touched the trim yet, but all the closets are done as well. I think we went through around 20 cans of paint if not more.  The ceilings were re-textured on Friday and are a huge improvement. We are really happy as they totally change the feel of the house.  Next exciting step: they will start sanding the floors tomorrow (Monday)!

The very beginning of our painting. We were so excited about the clean ceilings!

Living room looking in from "Kitchen" (freshly painted but lots of shadows late at night)

We found out that there was wallpaper underneath the paint in our bedroom that started peeling off when we TSP'd but only in little chunks at a time. Thankfully, this was retextured with the ceiling because we accidentally took some chunks off of the wall as we were scraping off the painted wallpaper.

Same wall but freshly painted -- please ignore the blue window sill -- we haven't touched the trim yet, and baseboards will help. It's disappointing that the paint doesn't look as good in pictures as it does standing in the room.


Blue bathroom update: Kirsten, Sarah, and I primed and painted the blue bathroom on Thursday. What a difference! Now it is white instead of a gnarly and dirty tan that really clashed with the blue sink and tub. We also caulked around the tub and soap holder and I was amazed what a help that was. Kirsten was a stud and pulled up the disgusting toilet (so we could get in the corner to paint and so the room was less nasty), so we're also ready to fix the flooring as soon as we can and then put another toilet back in. I still need to finish fixing the hardware on the shower and faucet, but I'm almost there. Just need to go back to Home Depot and get the right part.


Good Old Picture           Bad New Picture (I promise it's better in real life)


We are so thankful for all the help we had this weekend between Tim, Tony and Kirsten, and Sarah. Overall the house is beginning to feel incredibly cleaner, and maybe like somewhere we might want to live. Thank goodness because we have to be in by next weekend. : ) Ok, that's it for now. We're both exhausted and ready for bed. 

How was your weekend?



2 comments:

sharville said...

Wow! You guys have accomplished so much. I'm so happy for you guys as you take this new step in your lives.

Unknown said...

Way to go with the hard work. I can't wait to see it!! Paint is a wonderful thing! Prety cheap, pretty easy to do and you get great changes. From dingy to clean and beautiful with 14 gallons of paint and lots of effort and help. So glad things are coming together for you so quickly. Mom