Monday, March 30, 2009

Babies: A great exuse to sew

Thankfully, I've been blessed with a close friend and my very own sister who both just had new babies.

For Elizabeth's sweet little Karlyn, I wanted to make a Taggies (like I had made for Aspen) to match her cute bedding.
Her bedding is white and has really cute polka dots of varying colors, so I tried to match it as best I could from memory and the tiny picture from the Target site. : ) Supposedly, taggies are supposed to be good developmentally for little ones because the texture and colors of the fabric and ribbons is supposed to stimulate their little brains. I have no idea if this is true or not, but my nieces love these to pieces, sort of like miniature security blankets if you will.

For my sister, my mom had already claimed dibs on making a Taggies, so I decided to try my hand at a recieving blanket instead. Oh my, what a nightmare! My mom and I had cut the fabric last time I was in Fresno, way way after her bedtime.

Between the two of us being pretty groggy, the fabric was super crooked when I got it out to piece it together. Plus, unfortunatly, I'm not that great of a seamstress yet so I had a heck of a time trying to get the two pieces semi-strait and lined up. Finally through trail and error, and the help of Mom's really good ironing when I got home, it somehow turned out like this!
I was so happy to have something made with love to give to my sister and little Miss Vienna. Although difficult, it was so worth it, and it actually turned out looking pretty good. It's so fun to see her wearing something I made myself in pictures.

And finally, I couldn't resist posting this picture of the bear we got for Vienna. It's a tradition for me to bring a bear to the hospital for each of my neices, and this one is the cutest I've found. Plus, all her bedding is brown and pink and she matches perfectly! (Can you spot Melania in the background getting ready to go see Mommy at the hospital?)

What do you like to give to new Moms and Babies?

1 comment:

Jacinda said...

Thanks for sticking it out on the blanket. It turned out great and I love it! Even Brian made a comment on how cute the bear was! You're the best Auntie! :)