Sunday, November 2, 2008

That's right, I'm holding a dead chicken!

Today was my first attempt at cooking broth. Claire makes it really well and it tastes especially good when you're sick. As Pete and I have both caught cold, I thought today might be a good day to try it. It's really pretty easy, just some vegetables and a whole chicken, but man, preparing that chicken was way more disgusting than I thought!
Eew! Slimy and Gross!...and apparently the insides don't come in a nice neat plastic bag like I thought.But no fear! I cleaned it all up, cut it into a few peices, and got it cooking.
With a couple coaching phone calls with Claire, five hours, a burn and a knife wound we finally got a finished product: two steaming bowls of broth, some chicken sandwiches on the side, a couple bags of broth in the freezer, and enough chicken to make enchiladas tomorrow!
Yum!

Broth Instructions:
Ingredients
1 whole chicken (washed, gutted, skinned, and cut up if necessary)
1 Onion quartered
3 cloves of garlic (chopped into corn size pieces)
carrots (skinned or unskinned, cut to fit in pot)
3 stalks celery (cut to fit in pot)

1. Fill pot halfway with water and put in all ingredents
2. Bring to boil.
3. Reduce to simmer for 2-3 hours until chicken easily comes off bone.
4. Remove chicken to another bowl, save for sandwiches, enchiladas, etc.
5. Remove vegetables and toss.
6. Run broth through strainer to remove debris.
7. Allow broth to cool at least half hour and skim of excess oil.
8. Separate into bags or containers to freeze.

For dinner:
1. Bring broth to boil with chicken buigulon cube.
2. Add handful of pasta for each serving (less is better, orzo pastina or egg noodles) and follow cook time as instructed.
3. Serve warm

What is your best cold and flu remedy?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Marissa, i am so proud of you. Great job on the chicken soup. i love your facial gestures. Just what i remember. i hope the soup makes you both better.
love you both,
Mom